Sunday, March 16, 2014

Temptation.



So, in my last post, I explained why my going on a mission has been delayed and now I want to tell you what has followed me since that . . . depressing decision.  

I've heard people say that once you've decided to go on a mission, Satan tempts you like none other!  And then I've also heard people say that when missions are put on hold, even for a month or two, that the temptation becomes much, much stronger as there is that much more time for him to dissuade you from spreading the Word.  Honestly - and don't hate me for this - I never believed this.  For some reason, over the years I have had the impression that everyone exaggerates their trials.  Now I have developed this opinion over the span of many years and by going through many experiences where even close friends have lied to and manipulated me.  Because of this, I started to assume that peoples' lives and, if I may, even the world itself is not as bad as people make it out to be.  I am willing to admit that, unfortunately, I became cynical and disbelieving. 

<<I promise I'm getting to the point!>>  

On Facebook, I am a member of a group called "Many are Called . . . but Few are Sisters." This is a group with more than 12.000 members, keep in mind.  Every day there are dozens of posts detailing how hard of a time these girls have been having withstanding the temptations and trials that have been put in their ways.  Ever since I had joined the group, I had been getting really annoyed with all of these "woe to me" posts, thinking that they just have to be exaggerating everything.  However, lately I've been experiencing the exact same problem.  

Just like those people said, once I decided to go on a mission, it became harder and once I had to delay the mish, the temptations have become much, much stronger.  Oh I've gone through trials and temptations before and yes they were a lot and it was hard to get through them, but this now feels different.  Knowing that I'm going on a mission and I have to be worthy puts a whole other dimension on this situation.  I'm not going to go into detail at all, but I just want to tell you that it is very hard to withstand.  When the world is filled with so much evil and even your dreams are filled with Satan's designs to make you stray, it is very hard.  But at the same time, it has helped to strengthen my testimony.  I feel like all the trials and temptations building up against me are only proof of the truth of the gospel.  If the Church was not true, then why would there be so many forces trying to tear it down? Let me just say that I am so excited for these next months to pass so that I can be able to go out in the world and teach others about the goodness of the gospel.

Before I leave, I want to share with you guys a picture that is very near and dear to my heart.  


It does not matter where or how you get stuck - Christ will always be there to pull you out.  

< 3  < 3   < 3   E m i l i e   E l k i n s   < 3   < 3   < 3 

No comments:

Post a Comment